It’s been a long time since I updated this blog.
My reasons for stopping were probably not that good, although they seemed compelling at the time. And then it became harder and harder to start again.
Since it’s been nearly a year since I posted anything the things I was making when I left off are in season again. So here we go. I derived the need for this skirt a year ago last spring by pulling all my most-worn handmade items out of the closet and seeing what was missing. What was missing was this skirt: A-line, neutral, pocketed, in washable cotton twill.
I think this skirt marked a turning point from ooh-shiny! sewing to thinking like a designer. On it own its not spectacular, but it goes with and complements most of my tops, and the dark neutral color can make brighter tones pop. As drafted the Burda pattern I used came to mid-calf. So I scaled the whole thing down, changing the hem and the pockets too to keep proportions similar to the original skirt but that fit my shorter frame. I also realized (finally) that the same alterations I usually make to pants need to be made for skirts too. So I added some fabric at CB and shaved some off at CF.
Since I often feel like making these kind of basics is boring I added some details for fun: orange topstitching with two threads on the pockets and a printed orange quilting cotton for the linings of the waistband and pockets. The linings were a great way to use an irresistible print that would never work as a whole garment. I think these more rational approach to project selection worked well as this skirt has gotten a lot of wear in the last year.