After many months of resistance I finally caved and bought a second kind of Korean bean paste. The seasoned soybean paste, or Sagyegeol Ssamjang, comes in a green container, is the secret to delicious bi bim bop and mapo tofu, and has been a staple in our kitchen for over a year. The hot pepper soybean paste comes in a red container and looked intimidatingly spicy—until now!
After consulting the internet I came up with the following recipe for spicy fish soup:
- Boil water. Put fish is water.
- Take fish out of water, add bean paste.
- Optionally: add ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sherry, hot pepper flakes, tofu, veggies of your choice.
- Take fish off bones, put fish meat back in soup.
- Sprinkle green onions on top.
Make sure your bed is nearby and made up so you can collapse moments after finishing your soup.